Thursday, November 03, 2005

Oxford Union Debate: Me vs. Gene Robinson.

And I won! Well actually, not totally, but check this out. We had a debate at the Oxford Union tonight, the foremost debate society in Europe with Gene Robinson and our ethics tutor here, Andrew Goddard, plus four other speakers. Any member of the university has a shot at participating in the debate, so after four of the six speakers made their cases, the floor was opened to six Union members, three for and three against. The resolution was "This House does not think a homosexual lifestyle should bar a person from becoming a bishop." At the start of the debate the president of the Union mentioned that the best speaker from each side would be rewarded with all this cool stuff, plus bragging rights, but I wasn't really listening because I definitely wasn't going to get up in front of 1,000 people and Gene Robinson and make a case! Not on my first time in the Union!
So the two speakers on the opposition side (against Gene) were making irrelevant arguments and we were looking pretty bad, so I figured "Why not give it a go." So I raised my hand, got selected by the president, got in front of this hall (see below) and gave the final speak before Gene and the opposing bishop spoke.




Imagine this thing full! Scary!


And I was selected as the best speaker! Totally awesome! So that was pretty cool, and I hope this gift package contains bath soaps and other such items. I will let you know when I get it. Also tomorrow I will post the results of the debate, we might have pulled it out. Anyways, just thought I would share the news. Awesome! I also got to shake Gene Robinson's hand and tell him that even though I don't agree with his lifestyle I love him as a brother in Christ. And that is true.

9 Comments:

At 6:09 pm, Blogger Justin said...

I'm sure Gene Robinson would appreciate the bath soaps! Not because he's gay and effiminate... but because I hear he forgot his loofah in the States!

Also, your picture won't load, but awesome job on the debate!

 
At 7:22 am, Blogger JMC said...

You are one of the most amazing people I know Adam. Fix your damn images and you may take first.

 
At 8:14 am, Blogger Mair said...

So, I had no problem seeing the picture...but that is because my mac is a far superior machine. Anyway...so excited for you. Basking in your reflected glory. You rock - and since I know you, I rock, too. :o)

 
At 8:06 pm, Blogger RJ said...

wow, that's amazing. I can see your image too, and I'm on a regular laptop, wireless even, so it's more likely that oxford considers itself far too classy to be viewed by the likes of j. morgan caler, or anyone who's name ends in "colon", even if you both are totally sweet.

congratulations on winning the debate. hopefully the gifts will include a towel, and not just bath soaps, so you can sell it back to some unsuspecting yank and get your finances back in line after suffering such heavy losses at "British Body Works" earlier this semester.

hey o!

 
At 11:32 am, Blogger Justin said...

Being in England, it isn't very likely that you got toothpaste or floss, is it?

 
At 1:29 pm, Blogger Hans-Georg Gadamer said...

I am still waiting to hear back about the prize. I am hoping for a haircut, but I might end up with bangers and mash. That's alright too though. As long as I can frame it.

 
At 2:50 pm, Blogger Mair said...

I've been meaning to ask you...have to come across any PG Tips in England??? It's supposed to be the UK's #1 tea, you know.

My word verification: dxbbwmwf. This is way too long. C'mon!

 
At 2:55 pm, Blogger Hans-Georg Gadamer said...

Mair - I've been meaning to tell you: yes, it is the most popular, but kind of like Starbucks. So there are favourites here but PG tips is the standard version. Also, tell Josh that I found Strohs in Buffalo - and fresh as well! Come up some time?

 
At 11:15 am, Blogger Justin said...

Maybe this gift basket will contain a new post...

My confirmation word was fgoiy, which has to be British slang for something...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home