Thursday, September 22, 2005

I Can't Believe I Just Paid $26 For A Towel!

Okay, so this is my first post from Oxford (!), and I have to say everything has been pretty sweet so far. This place is unbelievable, and by unbelievable I mean expensive (or totally awesome). So I will list a few pros and cons so far, just to give you a taste of an American gone bloke (or broke?):

Pros:
1. Oxford is the most amazing town in the world. Learning and erudition is around every corner, especially in the Pubs (today I bought a fruit drink and I was told only women buy it. Here's to not drinking!).

2. My room is gigantic! I don't have internet in there yet or I would put a picture up, but it is great. Plus, the hall way right in front of my door always smells like powdered doughnuts. Ummm....doughnuts.

3. You get to call all the professors by their first names. Awesome. Alister? Sitting at the same lunch table? Plus, the Old Testament professor is going to teach me how to play squash. Sweet.

Cons:
1. Everything is twice as much if not more than what it costs in the states. The cheapest towel in Oxford costs £13, or roughly 5 billion American dollars. Unreal. I used my undershirt the first day, but I had to suck it up and buy one for long term use. I am still trying the find the diamonds hidden in the lining, they have to be there...

2. I only have to walk up two flights to go to the restroom and shower! Plus, all showers were designed in the 1200s when people were only 4 feet tall. All those pencil diving routines we did as kids are paying off big time.

3. Being friendly to a British person means not saying hi. Apparently when you introduce yourself you are not supposed to give your name, because that would be too arrogant of you. This leads to awkward starts of conversation with references to "you there" and "hotness."

So basically everything is really expensive and I almost run into people three times a day because I am walking on the right side of the sidewalk. But other than that Oxford is totally amazing and I am really excited to start my course of study (and squash) next week. Once I get my computer up and going I will add images, but I leave you with an image of the most expensive towel in the hsitory of the world:

Or not. Apparently blogger doesn't like UK pages. Blimey!

6 Comments:

At 5:14 am, Blogger JMC said...

Has the weekend passed already? Damn!

I hope you didn’t take your Armada e500 computer to England, Hans.

 
At 5:31 am, Blogger Hans-Georg Gadamer said...

J.Morgs - I absolutely did take that beautiful piece of computing with me, and hopefully it will be hooked up to the internet at 3:00 pm (here) today.

Sorry about the lack of phone conversation (double damn!), things have been a bit busy. I found a great service though which only costs 2 pence a minute (did I say this in the post?), so I will make right that call this weekend. Cheers until then! (You have to come and check this place out, it is amazing!)

 
At 5:32 am, Blogger Hans-Georg Gadamer said...

"Don't make me come over there and beat you with this cane, you young turk!" - I think that is the picture caption.

 
At 7:11 am, Blogger RJ said...

Holy sweet moses-st. francis! Oxford. That's just tremendous. I'm really excited for you. Enjoy the weekend, and I hope things start off well next week. Thanks also for the books - they're amazing.

 
At 7:21 am, Blogger Mair said...

Hey friend! Glad to hear you made the journey safely and that you are enjoying it over there! I hope you got your dress clothes from us in time. The box was Josh's idea...

p.s. Moses says hello and he misses your gecko.

 
At 7:46 am, Blogger Justin said...

I was actually looking for a nice tweed, do you think you could pick me up one?

and here is a sweet site that might help you out... http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/index.htm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home