Monday, October 03, 2005

Rowan Williams (!), Evangelical Liturgy, and Chapel Flowers


This last weekend was the conference between Radical Orthodoxy and Eastern Orthodoxy, which was held in Cambridge (boo hiss!). Even though it was located there, I still attended to check out the sweetest combination of theologies ever! Cambridge is only about an hour away from Oxford as the crow flies, but the bus ride takes roughly three and a half hours, which is ridiculous. The participants at the conference included such notables as Archbishop Rowan Williams (the head of the Anglican Communion), John Milbank (head of radical orthodoxy) and Basil, the Bishop of Sergievo (head of looking like santa claus in a long black robe).

I was once again reminded of how rich the Orthodox tradition is, and how rich the Western tradition is though the likes of St. Augustine and St. Aquinas. One comment seems particularly appropriate here in Oxford: Liturgy shapes our theology. Let me explain.

To my incredible frustration, all the conservative and evangelical churches in the UK are really low in worship. They function very much like low Presbyterian churches, with a long sermon and no communion generally. They also tend to focus on praise songs (the kind you can replace the name of Jesus with your significant other and they still make sense) as opposed to hymns. This absolutely drives me crazy. I attened one of these evangelical churches last night and for two hours we sung about God making us good people, loving Jesus with (only?) our hearts and hearing a sermon on congregationalism which had nothing to do with the Scripture passage. The problem is that if I want liturgy, I have to put up with liberal theology and possible a homosexual priest. There is no church which has high liturgy and orthodox teaching. This is so bizarre to me.

From a radically orthodox prespective, how we worship is very important to how we conceptualize God and relate to Him. Going to a high liturgy forces you to be on your knees (literally!) in worship and contemplation of an Almighty God who is Trinity. The liturgy has been the expression of praise for the church of God for the last two millenia, and now we have this low church experience of "buddy Jesus." I think we need to seriously reconsider our worship practice and the effect it has on our theology. Liturgy says that God in Christ is ever present, so present that you actually recieve Him bodily in the sacraments, He is physically dwelling with His poeple. We truly are His temple, His Body and His Bride. Low church worship says (to me) that we need to get Him figured out with out minds, and make sure we rationally relate to God, plus maybe we can meet Him through some non-confrontational fluffy sing-song.
Another disappointment in England is that the evangelical movement is so interested in "making church relevant." This I think is the death blow to any worshiping community. The Church is not called to be relevant, it is called to be redemptive. Jesus Christ did not become incarnate to reconcile the world to Himself in order to let girls come to worship wearing low-rider jeans and worse. But if you don't use projectors and popular secular music how will you fill the pews? I think we should probably trust Christ and His Spirit to bring people to Him rather than shooting low for mass appeal. If anyone thinks that traditional "stuffy" liturgy and Church teaching doesn't appeal to youth then why did half a million young Catholics show up to World Youth Day to support the most theologically conservative pope in one hundred years? I think the Church can do better than merely being another venue or meeting place, it is called to be a seperate city, though imperfect, reconciling the world to Christ through His sacraments and His word.

Those are just some ramblings I suppose, but it is a frustration of mine that we can't have both liturgical and evangelical in the same sentence for a church over here. In other news, I was in charge of chapel flowers this week for Wycliffe Hall, and I think I did an okay job. You will have to be the judge, but it is harder than it looks.


Thumbs up or thumbs down?

7 Comments:

At 6:04 pm, Blogger RJ said...

1.) thumbs up.

2.) I think you're selling relevancy short. It's not a movement towards allowing low rider jeans for the sake of filling pews - rather it's a recognition that people are wearing low rider jeans, and berating them for it isn't preaching the gospel. I'm a huge fan of relevancy, so I could go on for hours here. Not everyone realizes or believes they're broken like you do (and you do very very well.) These people have problems, and the church is called to love them in their circumstances. So we make some element of our service "relevant."

I won't defend modern evangelicalism and say it's all been grand, and I won't say that a turn towards respect for the holy and wholly other wouldn't be magnificent. I think it's a very difficult issue.

 
At 4:01 am, Blogger Hans-Georg Gadamer said...

Redness - I think you make a good point and I imagine that my post comes off being a bit too far on the "irrelevant" side of things. I think there is a lot of emotive issue here right now for me which certainly is affecting my opinions (I hope I won't be pushed to worship Mary!). I think relevance is important, I just don't know if what they are doing here is relevant. The Gospel is about people recognizing Jesus as King and Lord over all creation and changing their lives accordingly. I worry that sometimes in evangelical circles we forget the second part (divorce as a major example).
I am sure we are both on the same page though with relevancy, my rheotoric might have been a bit harsh in expressing my frustration with evangelicalism in England (which is manifestly different than it is in the States). Thanks for the corrective though, you do a good job of keeping things in perspective. Are you becoming a dangerous man for Christ?
Also, I get guest rooms here really cheap, or you can sleep on my floor in the "bachelor pad of the century." When are you coming over?

 
At 8:53 am, Blogger CharlesPeirce said...

hans, how's June of 2006?

 
At 10:03 am, Blogger Hans-Georg Gadamer said...

Charles - I am here until June 17th, or something, so any time before that is great. Good deals on rooms here. Cheers to that!

 
At 5:12 am, Blogger E.A.P said...

Wait, you have to arrange the flowers? Mad props! Maybe that fruity drink helped. ;)

 
At 8:46 am, Blogger Mair said...

Hans, I think this post is one of the most excellent things I've read all week - including all my rousing sociological reading! You articulated very well a lot of the struggle I've been having making the transition from my excessively evangelical past to a sweet liturgical understanding of worship. I think that I find a liturgical service to be so much richer in understanding and actually in emotional devotion because of my past experience in evangelicalism as you've defined it.

Anyway, thanks for your excellent admonishon to a more full understanding of what it means to worship.

We miss you!

 
At 10:11 am, Blogger Justin said...

I just got an email from Rowan Williams yesterday, he said that it's time for you to put up a new post. How incredibly relevant!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home